Monday, April 20, 2015

Google Juice

"Does Google have too much power over us?" 

That is an interesting question to pose since you can look at it from many ways. Initially I just saw Google as a tool I used on an everyday basis to figure out more about what I was searching for but actually realized just how much I used it in a day! When I started to consider how many tabs I had open in my Google Chrome app on my phone, things started to click. (Figuratively)

Google is a (very useful) tool that allows us to access information and knowledge world-wide at the click of a mouse (or touch).  BUT I do feel that we allow it to have more control then we may even realize.

Yes, Google is helpful but it also stores all the information you give it essentially. It uses your previous searches and current searches and send that information to (usually) help you to find the right information for your search but it also uses what information you give it to help out their company.

While this isn't necessarily dangerous to us, some people are more cautious about their user privacy and their search history. So it becomes a double edged sword. It helps us but it also makes us not completely comfortable about what we search on the internet.

Another hindrance of Google is the argument over whether "Google is making us stupid". I believe the answer is yes and that it is making us lesser intelligent. The speed and efficiency we have from Google just encourages us not to try to think for ourselves a bit more. So instead of remembering that name of that restaurant you went to last week, you can just google "Italian food in Oak Brook" and you can find what you're looking for.

It discourages us to use our brain-power and while that's not a problem for some people, and can also be really helpful to those who have to do other tasks at the same time, it still does not help us as evolving humans. 

I believe Google has helped us in many ways but like anything - too much of a good thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment