Tuesday, May 19, 2015

We've Got the Whole World in Our Hands


Social Activism.
It's an interesting thing to comprehend.
It's defined as "the use of direct, often confrontational action, such as a demonstration or strike, in opposition to or support of a cause", but if you go on any type of social media site, the definition seems to change a bit.

Yes, there are still protests and sit-ins and demonstrations with signs, but it seems today's younger generation has turned towards social media to show their political views or support of certain causes.

It's funny now how we can have so much power in participating in activism right in our cell phones. But as they say, "with great power"...


Maybe because it's easier to click a link that says "like this page" or press a button that says "sign here to support this cause" than to actually take the time out of your day to do something about the cause, but it seems people are gravitating towards social media for their "social activism"

I know I am already speaking from experience about how I have seen social activism, but I too have participated in this way. I have shared and liked many posts for causes I support (St.Judes, Human Rights Activism posts, LGBTQ causes, Animal Rights groups, etc..) The list goes on but I do see why people have turned towards social media to get their word out there. It spreads fast and can be seen by so many different people (and that helps the cause even more).

Although this is a good thing, I have witnessed an argument (or twenty) over posts made or shared that contained political views or "controversial" ideas that led towards some tempers flared and/or friendships broken. I have seen (and maybe participated in) my fair share of Facebook political drama but nothing compares to when someone shares a strong view or gets deeply involved in social activism on social media.

I believe that social media has done great for many groups or organizations (in terms of support) for their causes, but I feel some people take things too personally on social media sometimes. Of course we all have our convictions and views, but I believe that if we open our minds - we will be alot happier of a world.

No comments:

Post a Comment